I read a summary of the story of The Great Gatsby at 2am on March 19, 2015. I didn’t think that I would, one day, experience and be in one of Gatsby’s parties. I was introduced to Gatsby’s world in just a short span of time. I was searching for a good summary, one that would help me understand the gist of the story and thanks to yahoo search results, I was able to find and read a clear summary of The Great Gatsby. I was nervous the night before because I will be hosting a big event. In these types of scenarios, I usually over think and find it hard to go to sleep. So I read the summary and I might find a hard copy and read it for the summer. These are my thoughts:
1. First of all, Gatsby was too late. He planned to win back Daisy’s heart at a time that she was already married. I read in the story that he did everything to become wealthy because he wanted Daisy to notice him and then she might, finally, give him a chance. I think that men should think hard when they love a woman and not wait for her to get married before making a move.
2. Gatsby was poor and did everything to become rich so that Daisy would notice him. I think that his efforts were futile towards Daisy and he should have just moved on instead of trying to win her back. Despite the time that he was able to spend with Daisy during and after a party (this was already when Daisy was in a married status), when Daisy was confronted by her husband whether something was going on between him and Gatsby, she denied it. I don’t know what was the mentality of women in the 1920’s but it is true that love alone doesn’t sustain any relationship. Love must be nourished through different ways and women have desires, too. Our lives have changed and whether we like it or not, we have to also have keep up with the changes. In society, there will always be competition and if you have to do everything to get what you want.
3. I haven’t read the book yet so I am uncertain whether Daisy really loved Gatsby and I have no idea of their past but it must have been the best since Gatsby wanted to win Daisy back and to even go back to that time when they were together. But women, imagine yourself already living with a man who can give you a comfortable life but you know in your heart that he isn’t really the one you are in love with. Now, Gatsby shows up, ready and willing to give you a wonderful life! What would you do with your marriage? I’d always have to say to think more than a hundred time before getting married, and of course, for those who believe in God’s role in their lives, just like me, you have to really consistently pray that you do not make a mistake in choosing the person that you are going to marry.
4. No person could really speak in behalf of someone else’s love or love story. How much did Gatsby love her that he’s willing to win her back again despite the fact that she is already married?
5. Lastly, I’m going to have to read the book. I think that it’s a wonderful story and that it’s full of emotions. I might watch the movie but I’d prefer to just reading it.
The event is Barrister’s Night. It is a yearly event hosted by our school to send off the upcoming BAR takers.
I’m happy that I was able to host in a Gatsby party. Knowing what happened to Gatsby, (that he was killed by Nick, Daisy’s husband) I kind of felt like going back to that party where he came up to Daisy after several years. Imagine how that must have felt for Gatsby and for Daisy? If she really loved Gatsby, that would have been a really painful choice to deny Gatsby. Oh well, better grab that book and read soon. I’ll come up with a better review or write up after I’ve read the book which will hopefully be after this summer.
Here are some images of our Gatsby party last March 19, 2015 at La Proa, L’fisher Hotel:
My gown was tailor made by Ysabelle’s Bridal and it’s the perfect gown for that event!
Together with the BAR operations team
Special number by a friend of mine and his husband 🙂
HMU by Amanda. 😉